Summer is here and everyone will be grilling and spending time with their families. Some will be looking for a cool and refreshing side for a meal. Watermelon is a seasonal fruit that is very sweet and red during May to September. There’s a definite art to picking the very best watermelons. It involves weighing the watermelon between your hands, turning it over, and giving it a firm thump on the underside. Why? A heavy watermelon with a splotch on its belly and a hollow sound means it is brimming with juice and at the peak of its ripeness. After picking out your Watermelon and Strawberries, try your hand at our very easy Watermelon and Strawberry Salad. This salad has a lot of variations. All of the optional ingredient are the variations, try them if you would like.
-Enjoy Chef Melvin C.
Strawberry, Watermelon and Basil Fruit Salad
· 1 pound strawberries washed
· half seedless watermelon cubed
· 15-20 fresh basil leaves / or Mint cut into ribbons or finely chopped
· Cracked Black Pepper to desired Taste
· Blue Berries (optional)
· Black Berries (optional)
· Lime Juice (optional)
· Honey (optional)
1. Remove the tops from the strawberries. Cut into halves or quarters depending on their size.
2. Cut watermelon into bite-size cubs.
3. Chiffonade the basil leaves by rolling them tightly and cutting across the short side. This will result in thin ribbons.
4. Combine all of the ingredients in a bowl and gentle stir.
5. Serve chilled. Lasts a couple of days in the fridge but the basil may wilt a little.