Hard to imagine that fall is coming upon us so quickly even though it scarcely feels like fall until some time in November in Texas tradition, LOL.
That said, I like to kick off the fall with cracking the oven on and doing a little baking with the fam on the weekend early morning with a nice pot of coffee especially on those first few cool days we get.
This is a great recipe that comes together super quick and yields a generous portion of 14 donuts that are baked instead of fried! Feel free to cut recipe in half as necessary. Beyond that these are dairy free and can be made optionally gluten free as well. Recipe includes option of powdered or iced…
It requires a minimal investment of nonstick or silicone donut baking molds and disposable piping bags both of which can be purchased off everyone’s favorite friend Amazon for a very reasonable price. Recipe is as follows:
Gluten Free Pumpkin Spice Donuts
· 1 1/2 cup gluten free baking flour all purpose
· 1/2 cup almond flour
· 1 tsp pumpkin spice
· 1 tsp cinnamon
· 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
· 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
· 1/4 tsp salt
· 1/2 cup packed brown sugar or coconut sugar for refined sugar free
· 4 eggs large
· 3/4 cup pumpkin puree (NOT pie filling!)
· 1/2 cup almond milk
· 2 tsp vanilla extract
for the cinnamon sugar
· 2 tbsp dairy free butter
· 1/4 cup granulated can sugar or coconut sugar for refined sugar free
· 1 tsp cinnamon
for the glaze
· 3/4 cup powdered sugar
· 1 1/2 tbsp almond milk
· 1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F and prepare a standard size donut pan with non-stick spray (be generous) and dust with gluten free flour to further prevent sticking.
2. In a mixing bowl, stir together the flour, almond flour, spices, baking soda, baking powder and salt and then set it aside. In another bowl, whisk together the brown sugar, eggs, pumpkin, almond milk and vanilla until smooth. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and then whisk until no dry bits remain. Tranfer the batter to a large piping bag and fill the donut molds. Bake the donuts for 10-12 minutes. Remove and let cool.
3. For the cinnamon sugar donuts, melt the butter and brush over donuts. Place the sugar and cinnamon into a bowl and stir until combined. Toss buttered donuts in cinnamon sugar until coated.
4. For the glazed donuts, whisk together the glaze ingredients and spoon over donuts.
~ Chef Mike